Do you have Candida? Do you know the Symptoms, & Why should you Care?
What is Candida?
Simply put, it’s an over abundance of bad yeast in your body.
How do you know if Candida is affecting your lifestyle?
Are you feeling lousy, sluggish, fog brained, irritable, wobbly, and itchy as hell most of the time?
Either you are sloshed right now, or you my friend may just have a Yeast problem. Yes…guys can have it too. In fact one fellow blew over the legal limit of Alcohol in his Blood Stream after indulging at an Italian restaurant…but here’s the kicker. He had been drinking water all night. How could such a thing happen? When making booze in a still its usually Water+Sugar+Yeast (fermented) = Alcohol.
In this case however the still is YOU. Alcohol is the natural by product or waste left in the blood stream after a Carbohydrate or Sugar binge when you have an over abundance of the bad yeast floating around. The guy ate pasta, garlic bread, and desert before being pulled over..true story. This may sound like an urban legend but I swear it’s on the books in Phoenix as legal precedent.
So here you are you wondering if you have a yeast problem? If you are even asking the question you obviously suspect something is off, and no one knows your body better than you do. Incidentally, I answered yes to every one of the symptoms listed below, hence the reason I’m blogging about it. My hope is to find a Holistic/Herbal response to this condition so that I might heal myself, and pass on my findings on to you.
I feel silly.
I’ve lived with these symptoms going on thirty years. Who lives with a condition for that long? I didn’t know what I didn’t know, and I didn’t know that I was living with an over growth of Candida. I was just a teenager when the symptoms began to manifest themselves so this became my ‘normal’. The lousy part is that this was so completely unnecessary. So much can be healed just by altering how and what we eat. Isn’t it amazing to think so many of our health issues spring from what’s in the food cupboard? Well then the phrase, “Let food be your medicine’ is especially appropriate.
In case you are wondering if the bad yeast is playing games with you here are some of the more common symptoms…
Quick Candida Quiz:
- Do you spend most of your day (or want to spend most of your day horizontal? IE. Are you tired all the time?
- Are you the ‘Blue Angel’ champion of your family? IE. Do you have gas, bloating or abdominal discomfort?
- If someone comes between you and your chocolate will it get ugly? IE. Crave sugars, breads, beer or booze?
- On a delicate note do you have proper bowel movements? IE. Constipated, diarrhea or both?
- Do you have mood swings that could rival a Gemini? IE. mood swings or depression?
- Is ‘bitchy’ a term often applied to you? ie. Irritable? Easily angered? Anxious? Nervous?
- Are you reading this paragraph for the 3rd time? ie. Trouble thinking clearly? Suffer the occasional memory losses? or have difficulty concentrating?
- Do you ‘fall down go boom’? ie. Ever dizzy or light-headed?
- Do you feel achy in your muscles or stiff from normal activity? (like getting up in the morning?)
- You haven’t changed a damn thing but you are putting on weight? (a personal pet peeve of mine although in fairness that could simply be the difference between being in your 40’s vs your 20’s)
- Sorry, another personal one. Are you itchy down there? ie. Is there an itch or burning sensation around the vagina or prostate or a loss of sexual desire?
- Have you ever taken antibiotics?
- Have you ever taken birth control pills?
- Have you ever taken Steroid drugs such as Cortisone?
- Have you ever taken recreational drugs (sorry that’s just me being nosy
- If you answered yes 7+ times you have an excellent chance of an overgrowth of Candida. If you scored like 11+…oh yeah…it’s very likely you should get yourself checked out because your hunch is probably right on the money.
- What to do? What to do?
The Candida ‘Spit Test’:
All sides of the debate (for – against –and neutral points of view) have been selected to give you a more balanced view of the issue.
You can check out the sites below for more detail, but the test simply works like this:
First thing in the morning, before you put ANYTHING in your mouth, you get a clear glass filled with water. You work up a bit of saliva, and then spit into the glass of water.
You check the water about every 15 minutes, for up to one hour.
If you have a Candida problem, you’ll see strings (like legs) traveling down into the water from the saliva floating on the top. Or, you will see a “cloudy” saliva sink to the bottom of the glass. Or you will see cloudy specks that seem to be suspended in the water.
If there are no strings and the saliva is still floating after at least one hour, you probably don’t have a Candida problem.
Point of View that the Candida ‘Spit Test’ WORKS:
Point of View that the ‘Spit Test’ DOES NOT WORK:
NEUTRAL Point of View on the ‘Spit Test’:
The first site gives you the low down on the mechanics of how the spit test works. The results of that test are up for debate. You decide.
I personally am not moved to think that the spit test alone is a conclusive indicator of an overgrowth of Candida as so many other reasons could be feasible for the same results. Nonetheless, read up on these other points of view to make up your own mind. Cheers!
As I embark on my Candida Yeast Free Cleansing Diet I will include a diary of recipes daily to share with y’all. I have a habit of embellishing the hell out of recipes as I find them too damn bland, but the rule of thumb is to ‘your tastes’ not mine. Happily I love to cook. I’m a total ‘foodie’ so I’m hoping that’s going to come in handy right about now as I turn my fridge and life upside down. Keep the eye on the prize though. Whenever I feel like “I can’t have this and I can’t have that.” I will tell myself no, this is my choice. I can have whatever I want, but I am choosing this. I am choosing this because of all the benefits that are awaiting me at the end of tunnel. Health, clarity, weight loss, clear skin, improved memory, stable emotions and yes…maybe my relationships with other people will survive this. I’m amazed I have any relationships left at all. The cascading effect of getting my sanity and my body tuned up will have a far reaching effect and THAT is something worth changing for.
I’m old school so I plan on going the distance to choke the yeast off of anything and everything that feeds it. Make no mistake..this is war. This yeast has been dominating my life for three decades and when I think back on high school, and college, and my career, and MY LIFE in general I have to wonder what it might have looked like if I wasn’t dragging my ass through every class, every book I’ve tried to read, every memory I can’t remember, and through every single blooming day. Can you remember a day when you didn’t feel utterly exhausted? I’m tired of feeling tired. You?
The rules are pretty strict-nothing that feeds or supports yeast. This is not so much a diet as a cleanse, and makes other ‘diets’ for the sake of weight loss look like a veritable smorgasbord or cornucopia of choices. To be creative cooking within these ‘boundaries’ will test my culinary skills but I’m up for the challenge. Come along with me on my personal diary as I share recipes, results and the occasional bitch session as I get the feeling this ain’t gonna be an easy ride. Hope you don’t mind lending an ear.
Join me, Nikki, as I journal my way through the chaos that is Candida. I’ll be Blogging my crazy thoughts and cravings during my on-going Cleanse, in a step by step journal titled The Candida Chronicles , so I can share with you the Dietary Rules , the Meal Plans and Recipes , the Tips and Facts, and most importantly, the RESULTS. If I can lick this problem, letting ‘Food be my Medicine’ and only using Herbals then you can too!